Archaeologists have begun to explore the Bulgarian Pompeii, an ancient city of Nikopolis-ad-Istrum near Veliko Tarnovo deriving its name from one of the world’s most famous archaeological sites, Pompeii. If you interested in finding out more about exhibits featuring Pompeii, check out my Worlds Most Popular Archaeology Museums.
Image via Wikipedia
Archaeologists are exploring a building dating back to the ruling of Roman emperor Septimus Severus. According to experts, the building was used as temple by the worshippers of Cybele, who was widely known as the goddess of caverns, of the Earth in its primitive state; worshipped on mountain tops.
“So far the archaeologists have found fragments of wall paneling, details of door cases, windows and niches. They are expecting expert results that would enable them to restore the architectural layout of the settlement at the beginning of its history - early 2nd cent. during the reign of Emperor Trajan.”
The classical town of Nikopolis-ad-Istrum was planned according to the orthogonal system. A perfectly orthogonal grid would have entailed significant differences in the distance from the houses to particular structures, or a basilica to outlying public buildings.
“The rich architecture and sculptures show a similarity with those of the ancient towns in Asia Minor.”
Even before I began my education in anthropology and archaeology, I had read several books on theory and method, as well as researched diver...
Hot Archaeology Topics
- Best Graduate and Undergraduate Schools, Universities, and Colleges for Archaeology and Anthropology
- 30 Dirty Archaeology Jokes and One Liners That Will Have You Rolling In The Dirt!
- The History and Meaning of Ancient Egyptian Jewelry
- Pompeii: Erotic Art and Roman Sexuality
- How did the Scientific Revolution Change the way Europeans Viewed The World?
- US Archaeology and Anthropology Schools and their Disciplines
- Best Schools for Biological and Evolutionary Anthropology and Archaeology
- La Casa Tomada: The Haunted House Presented at Daytona State College
- What is Psychic Archaeology?
Browse: Home > Archaeology News: Secrets of the Bulgarian Pompeii